After more than 6 weeks of work we finally started the Hayabusa motor!    We only ran it for about 2 seconds since it was late at night and we haven't filled the water box yet and the exhaust system isn't done yet.  But let me start at the beginning of the week...

Last week Mark left the car with us in our garage.   With work, school and other things I only managed to put in a few hours durring the week on the electrical system (the last big thing remaining before we could start the engine).  Saturday morning, Mark came by to work on the car and with all of us working we wanted more space than just the garage.   Some of you know that my garage door is nailed shut (we bought the house that way) but we can still get the race car in  and out through a small panel.
Garage door.jpg

With the car under the car-port there is lots of room to work and the light is better.    I worked on the electrical system and James & Mark worked on many of the other little items that need to be done before running the car at the next meet (Sept 16th at El Mirage Lake).   One of the projects is the parachute.   If the current record in you class is more than 160 Mph, you need a parachute.  The record for our 750cc engine (JG/L class) was 158MPH so we were cool but the new motor's class record (HG/L) is about 180MPH.  Several years ago, James & I saw a very cool parachute deployment system It used compressed air to hold the chute in. Additionally, the system had a pressure switch for the ignition. Any loss of pressure would deploy the chute and turn off the motor.  Plastic air hose was run around areas prone to fire which would melt the air line.  The driver's first indication of a fire is the motor shutting down (and the fuel pump) and the chute coming out. The driver can deploy the chute by pressing a button on the  steering wheel.  Any way lots of work to get it all put together.

cutting wires.jpg
I sorted out the last of the electrical system and chopped off everything we didn't need attached to the motorincluding dashboard and headlight wires.  Then I started attaching them to our electrical panel (we use a standardized panel so that we can just plug in any of our engines with out any extra wiring).  This took me until Monday morning.  Mark stopped by with his family to see if it would start before heading back to San Diego.  Well it wouldn't start and we had an idea that the computerized ignition wasn't happy with something.  Fortunately the dashboard will tell you what the computer doesn't like but that meant attaching a lot more wires.  I finished about 5 PM and turned on the power.....  C-42 the computer said.  This is an "Ignition Error" according to the book.  James and I spent many hours ringing out wires and doing tests trying to find the error.  to make a very long story short.  We guessed that the original motorcycle had an anti-hotwire circuit that's not  in the shop manual (don't want thieves to know about it) and guessed how it could be tricked in to working.  SUCCESS!  C-00  No Errors!  So at about 10PM Monday night we turned it over and it lit right up.
c42 c00.jpg

Until next week....

Back to Rice/Vigeant Car #9999 Update Page